Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Perils of Being VamPixie by PJ Schriever

The Perils of Being VamPixie

Lucy wants nothing more than to escape her pathetic 6th grade existence, so when a tribe of gothic bat-winged healers called VamPixies give her the chance to leave her troubles behind, she takes it. These otherworldly beings assure her that VamPixies live by the loyalty oath of truth, bravery and friendship; they do not bite, but feed on sugar; they do not take lives, but bestow life instead. But when Lucy arrives in their alternative universe, she discovers that nothing is what it seems and there is more to her mysterious immortal friends than sparkly wings and magical talents. Can she trust them? Lucy soon finds herself dream-hopping her way between her mortal home and the supernatural world, striving to unravel the web of secrets that could save them all.

This is another perfect book for tweens to start reading for fun! I enjoyed the story and liked the aspect of Lucy (the main character) jumping from her everyday world to living in her dream world as well. The writing makes it easy to get into and the story has twists and turns that will keep you interested and wanting more. I like the fact that Lucy is a completely normal kid who has had a hard time with her parents divorce. She is believable to other kids her age which makes this exciting for kids to get into, letting them imagine themselves in Lucy's shoes. I like the storyline and that alone kept me reading!

I highly recommend this to all young readers from about 9 and up. If you have not been a kid for awhile but enjoy fantasy that is family friendly, you should read this one too!

Here is what PJ has to say about self-publishing and coming up with the VamPixie's!

Tell us about yourself.
Besides being an author, I am a freelance Toy Designer and Inventor, as well as a single mom to my 12 year old son and three dogs. I am lucky enough to I work in my home, which gives me the flexibility to be present for my family and to dive into other creative ventures like writing a middle grade novel!
Tell us about your writing experience.
For me, writing is something that I get lost in, obsessed with, frustrated about, and when I finally stop for the day, I can’t wait to start it again the next. Writing is quite a new-found creative outlet for me. I typically create with visual images; I draw and paint for a living as well as for pleasure. So when I write, I see things happening in my mind and then try to explain them.
What lead to you coming up with the idea of this book?
I’ll admit that the idea of crossing a vampire with a pixie came about initially as a concept for a line of dolls--yes, the kind that little girls play with. My thought at that time was that younger girls would love to play in the vampire fantasy, but in a way that was age appropriate for them. Poof! VamPixies were born! But as I developed a backstory for these characters, it became clear that this wasn’t enough to satisfy all I needed to say about them.
The doll idea quickly went by the wayside as I went to work creating an entire world for the VamPixies, grounding it in reality with the heroine of the story, Lucy, and her real-world troubles. The Perils of Being VamPixie is really Lucy’s story. Like most of us, Lucy’s journey is about realizing her own strength and becoming more than she thought she was; which in this case is a VamPixie.
What led to your decision to self-publish?
I decided to self-publish when I finally accepted the fact that in the current economic climate it was unlikely that I was going to find a gatekeeper (agent) who would be willing to represent a first-time author who had written a “vampire” book. Apparently, use of this word in a query letter meant that it would not be considered for publishing. I had missed the boat! The market was already over-saturated with YA paranormal romance novels, and nobody wanted another “vampire” story--despite the over-looked fact that a Middle Grade novel about VamPixies did not fit into that category.
Being a person of strong will and stubbornness, I did not accept this. I also felt like I had worked too hard to let my book die on my computer. I wanted to see my project to completion, even if that was all that came of it.
What obstacles did you come across in the process?
The cover. I hated the ones that Create Space did for me. I ended up drawing out the VamPixie lettering myself and having a graphic designer friend put it together for me. The other obstacle that I had to face is that being self-published means that there are things about my book that are not as perfect as I had hoped they would be--editing mainly. Typos happen. That’s all I have to say about that!
Would you / are you planning to self-publish more books in the future?
I would love to. I consider my creative process of writing to be an evolution; It has certainly been a learning curve and I’m still on it. I love to write and ideas are plentiful, but time is certainly an issue for me. I could fib and tell you that I have Book 2 in the VamPixie series ready for publishing, but unfortunately, it is still a seed in my brain that needs my time and attention.
I would be so appreciative of any comments or reviews from Middle-Graders or adults who have read the book...love to hear from the kids! You can leave comments and see early VamPixieVamPixie facebook page:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment