Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Amulet Series by D.L. Cocchio

Today I am talking to D.L. Cocchio who is the author of the Amulet series, which at the moment consists of two titles: Be Careful What You Wish For & Magic By Moonlight. Over the past month or so I have done a couple of reviews for books that would be great for young boys who are reluctant readers, if you have a young girl around the ages of 8 to 12 who happens to be a reluctant reader ... have I discovered a series for you. But of course if they love to read ... they will love this series too!  I enjoyed these two books myself. As a self-proclaimed history buff I found the plots to be entertaining and informative. The quick pace of the story will keep little ones interested and adults too. I think that these are also good books to share with kids who may be a little to young to read them on there own! Why not read a book that will have you both wanting more!


D. L. Cocchio

1.     Tell us about yourself.
I’ve enjoyed writing stories since I was a child and I’m the author of two books, who enjoys reading, writing, and crafts.  I am fascinated by all things mystical and magical.  My first novel, Be Careful What You Wish For, was published in 2003. Magic By Moonlight, the second book, was released in Feb. 2011.  Holding a degree in Psychology and a teaching license,  I was an elementary school teacher.   Currently, I reside in N.J. with my husband, Gary and daughter, Jen. We have a cute black and white cat named Peyton.

2.     Tell us about your writing experience.
I have always loved to write, ever since I can remember. As a kid, I would spend most of my summers reading and writing. I think it was a great escape, being able to create a fantasy world. Mostly, I am inspired by places I visit and people I meet. I tend to be able to weave a story around the things that interest me. They say to write about what you know and love, so I do.

3.     What lead to you coming up with this series?
I wrote the first amulet story when my daughter was about 10. Watching Jen and her friends play dress up and make up stories to go with it, inspired me to write the series. I decided to put it in the setting of one of my favorite places to go – The NY Renaissance Fair. Book two is set in Salem, Massachusetts, during the witch trials, another of my favorite vacation spots.

4.     What led to your decision to self-publish?

The decision to self publish came when I already had one book published by a small publisher and my second book kept getting rejections. Then I found out why – no publishers wanted to touch it since the first book was owned by another publisher. So I did a lot of research before I decided to go with Amazon (CreateSpace), and I’m so happy I did.

5.     What obstacles did you come across in the process?
After the initial obstacles in finding a publisher, the rest was a learning experience.
I took lots of notes all along the journey of self-publishing. I purchased a package
that enabled me to have an interior designer and cover designer. Much of it was
learned by trial and error, especially the setting up of the photo files for my
interior publishing team. The rest is history. After buying back the rights from my
first novel, I attempted to try the D-I-Y approach (do-it-yourself), with much
success.  So now I own the rights to both books.

6.     Would you / are you planning to self-publish more books in the future?
I definitely will be self-publishing more books. As a matter-of-fact, I have two young adult books in progress. One will hopefully be out before the end of the year.  I love the freedom that you have in self-publishing, with the all decisions that you make, especially setting the price and profit. I have so much more control of what goes on. Plus, I can say I did it all myself. You can visit my website at: http://dlcocchio.webs.com where you can find out about my books and news of upcoming appearances, contests, and releases. You can even join the fan club and write to me there. Hope to hear from you soon.

Here are some quick blurbs for each book:

Be Careful What You Wish For- 2011

"Best Friends, Emily and Megan, are thrilled to find out that the amulet they bought at a Medieval Fair is supposed to make wishes come true. The magical amulet sends the girls on a fantastic journey back in time to 15th century England, where they encounter a host of unforgettable characters. Anne and her cousin, Richard, help the girls to try to uncover the truth about the amulet."
            
Will they find the answer they need to return to their own time? Can they avoid being caught? Join the girls and their new friends in this exciting adventure back in time.


Magic By Moonlight

"With a magical amulet in hand, three friends are whisked back in time to the Salem Witch Hunts, a terrible time in U.S. history. When Tituba, the Paris' slave, secretly teaches the children a lot more than housekeeping, like voodoo, fortune-telling, and spell casting, it leads to utter chaos in the village. Ultimately, Emily, Megan and Ben uncover a hidden secret which may alter the course of history."
       

To find out more about D.L. Cocchio and how to buy the books see her website at http://dlcocchio.webs.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jennifer! It was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Deb, your books sound really fun!

    ReplyDelete