Friday, October 7, 2011

A Royal Pain: A Royal Spyness Mystery By Rhys Bowen

Published by Berkley Prime Crime (c) 2008

I had never heard of the Royal Spyness mystery series by Rhys Bowen until I was shelving books at work a couple of months ago. I picked up the book, read the back, and after reading the first 2 pages I bought the book at the end of my shift with the last few bucks I had in my wallet (thank goodness pay day was the next day)!! I do not regret buying this book one bit, it was one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

Here is the synopsis from Rhys Bowen's website http://www.rhysbowen.com/books/royal-spyness-series/ :

The Queen of England has concocted a plan in which Georgie is to entertain a Bavarian princess—and conveniently place her in the playboy Prince’s path, in the hopes that he might finally marry.

But queens never take money into account. Georgie has very little, which is why she moonlights as a maid-in-disguise. She must draw up plans: clean house to make it look like a palace; have Granddad and her neighbor pretend to be the domestic staff; un-teach Princess Hanni the English she’s culled from American gangster movies; cure said Princess of her embarrassing shoplifting habit; and keep an eye on her at parties. Then there’s the worrying matter of the body in the bookshop and Hanni’s unwitting involvement with the Communist Party. It’s enough to drive a girl crazy…


The story is historic fiction(1930's London) meets chicklit meets murder mystery and it will make you laugh out loud in many parts. As I read this I was transported into Georgie's world and I did not want to leave as I was having way too much fun with her and her friends. The plot twists are clever and the end I did not see coming which is always a plus. This is a great book even if you are not a mystery fan, but beware you may be one after you have read this novel.

The best thing is that this is the second in the series and it is easy to read as a stand alone book. But for sure you will want to read more about Georgie and there are many more including (1) Her Royal Spyness (3)Royal Flush (4) Royal Blood (5) Naughty in Nice (which was just released in September).

8 comments:

  1. i just think it's SO cool that there's a blog about book reading..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books, so I'm so glad to have found you from the blog hop! Looking forward to more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! It sounds good! I might have to pick it up.

    I'm following from bloggy moms. I'd love a follow back too! www.becauseidontscrapbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newest follower from MBC! Hope you can visit and follow me in return:)

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com
    http://www.loveablecassandra.com
    http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com
    http://www.sweethomephilippines.com

    Kindly, refresh the page when the google friend connect does not appear:)

    Thank's and have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added it to my reading list and I'm a new follower for your blog. :D

    Trev @ trevsliteraryreview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an odd-sounding novel! Sounds pretty entertaining, though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of these either, but they sound great. I'm on my way over to his site right now to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished Heris and Graces, and I am really hoping there are more Royal Spyness novels. They are fun to read.

    ReplyDelete