Friday, August 26, 2011

First Impression Friday - The Summer Garden By Paullina Simons

  The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons
                                 First William Morrow Paperback Edition Released July 2011
                                 Original Publication 2005

Through years of war and devastation, Tatiana and Alexander suffered the worst the twentieth century had to offer. Miraculously reunited in America, they now have a beautiful son, Anthony, the gift of a love strong enough to survive the most terrible upheavals. Though they are still young, the ordeals they endured have changed them—and after living apart in a world laid waste, they must now find a way to live together in postwar America.

With the Cold War rising, dark forces at work in their adopted country threaten their lives, their family, and their hard-won peace. To regain the happiness they once knew, to wash away the lingering pain of the past, two lovers grown distant must somehow forge a new life . . .or watch the ghosts of their yesterdays destroy their firstborn son. (taken from http://paullinasimons.com/books/the-summer-garden/)

I received an ARC of this book a few weeks ago from work; I had never heard about this trilogy but thought the story sounded interesting. Earlier this week I picked it up and I have been enjoying it ever since. I am currently about 40 pages into the book.

The tone of the book works well with the characters, as you read you can feel the pain and confusion each of the main and supporting characters are dealing with from the turmoil of there involvement with WW2. The fear and aggravation that Tatiana is dealing with in trying to rekindle a relationship with her husband and raising her young son is so real that as I read my heart breaks for her. But with what her husband Alexander had to endure during the war, it is not surprising that he is having trouble putting the past behind him. Through Paullina Simons writing you can clearly feel the distance and the desires each has, to return to the way they once were. At the moment they have no idea how to get there.

The story refers somewhat to past events that are part of the earlier books in this trilogy but so far I have had no problem reading this as a stand-alone book. That said I think I will try getting my hands on The Bronze Horseman and Tatiana and Alexander sooner rather than later!


3 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from the hop and am always happy to see someone who enjoys to read. If it is a good book I can finish it in one day! I do have a question, working in a book store, do you have any idea who to contact about doing book reviews? I have been wanting to add that to my list since I read so much but don't know if you contact your favorite authors or a book publisher? I had not thought til just now to ask someone and I hope you might know. I am following your blog thru GFC and would love a follow back when you get a chance. Have a great weekend!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from the weekend hop! I love reading too!

    Please return the follow over at www.heavenlymommy.com - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen @ Mommy's Reading TooAugust 31, 2011 at 3:34 PM

    mmbear- I don't have contacts from work so I am trying to learn from more seasoned book bloggers. What I have learned so far is that once you have some reviews completed on your blog and your blog shows that you post blog on a regular basis you can approach publishers. If you build up your relationship with the editors ... you'll never know what may find its way to you :) Hope this helps you!Good luck

    ReplyDelete